Additional services


Is my room furnished? Do I have to bring my own cooking and eating utensils?

Rooms in our dormitories are equipped with all basic furniture items – each resident has their own bed, desk, chair and shelves. Kitchens are equipped with a cooker, refrigerator, running water and basic kitchen furniture. The rest – curtains, carpets, blankets, pillows, cleaning equipment, dishes, water kettles, toasters, etc. are up to the resident. Before you buy anything major, however, it may be sensible first to meet with your roommates/flatmates and see what is there already, decide how you’re going to use it, and only then, if and as you agree, start purchasing new items. It is also possible to rent a set of blanket, pillow and bedlinen (5 EUR a month) from the reception.

When can I fill in the application form?

The application form for the beginning academic year accommodation is usually open from the first full week in August. You can fill in the online accommodation form at:

I would like to share a room with a friend who is also applying. How should we fill in the application and what are the chances of us being assigned the same room?

You should each fill in the application, indicating that you would like to have one place in a twin room. In the field ‘fellow tenant’, you should give the full name of the person whom you wish to share the room with and his or her application number. When making an offer, we do our best to grant roommate requests if it is possible.

Why is it so difficult to get a single room?

There is a high demand for single rooms but as there are only a few of them, they are seldom vacated. Therefore it may take a year or even a year and a half to get a single room. So you could at first apply for a place in a room (or a twin room for one person, if available) and then, once you have a place, wait for a single room.

I have sent my application for a place. Does this mean that a place has been reserved for me and that I can come to Tartu and to the residence hall in the autumn without having to worry about it?

We will reply by e-mail to applications for a place and send the applicants an offer for a room, so fill in the application very carefully to be sure to enter the correct information. When you have received an offer you have to confirm it within a week. All those who have got a place or a room in a dormitory will have to sign the lease agreement and pay the deposit. The amount of the deposit is 100 EUR per place.

Can I take my dog with me?

Pets are not allowed in our dormitories.

What does an invoice consist of?

The invoices consist of the rent charge for the current month and Internet and utility services i.e. water and waste management, electricity, heating, warm water etc. for the previous month. So, for instance, on the month following moving, the above-mentioned invoices of the housing contract terminated will be added to the invoice of the effective contract.

The rent is calculated on the basis of the number of tenants in the room. The charge for water and waste management is calculated on the basis of the number of tenants in the dormitory, the charge for electricity, heating and hot water on the basis of the size of the room.

All invoices can be paid by bank transfer only. You can pay by transfer or with cash at the bank. We do not accept payments here at the dormitory.

In case the property in the dormitory common areas is damaged and it is not possible to find out the person(s) responsible, the expenses are split up between the tenants on that specific floor and added to the invoice.

Upon leaving the dormitory, such invoices will be added to the final settlement. All additional invoices will be deducted from the deposit, and the remaining amount of the deposit will be repaid to the current account of the tenant.

What is the deadline for the payment?

The due date of invoice payments has been indicated separately on each invoice. The due date of payment of monthly invoices is the 20th of each month. If an invoice is paid after the due date, also an invoice for the interest rate (0,15% per day) for the delay will be added.


What should I do if the sink is clogged or the radiator leaks?

Preventing sink clogging is up to you! Clean your dishes from big food pieces before washing them in the sink. Use a sink strainer to stop food pieces from clogging the drain. The strainer costs less than 1€ and can be found in most supermarkets and homeware/grocery stores. Use a plunger and special drain liquids to keep the drains empty.

Problems related to accommodation should be notified to the receptionist at the reception. When you register your problem or emergency in our notebook, a corresponding work assignment will be issued to the person responsible for the area.

If your problem requires on-site attendance by a workman, please make sure the problem area is accessible and clear (for instance, in the case of a blocked sink drain, please remove any dishes from the sink and clean the sink). If access to the area is not ensured, repairs will not be performed.

What should I do if I want to use the washing machine?

You will be given a keycard along with your room key. This card opens the front door. It also activates the washing machines in the laundry room. One machineful of laundry costs 2 EUR. This sum will be added to your rent invoice.

Where can I leave my bicycle?

The tenants can leave their bicycle in the indoor bicycle park in the dormitory basement. They need their keycard to open the door. There are outdoor bicycle racks in front of all buildings of the EMU.

What should I do to change the room?
If a tenant would like to change their room, they need to submit an online accommodation application again. If possible, the accommodation manager will help you find a room, sign off your old lease agreement and make a new lease agreement. You must return the keys of your old room the next day after moving into a new room at the latest. It is prohibited to change the room without the manager's consent.

What should I do if I want to move out from the dormitory?

If you wish to move out you have to notify the manager of the dormitory at least 30 days in advance. The room must be cleaned and a time agreed upon for the manager to come and check it. Both the manager and the tenant sign off the contract. The tenant must return the card and the key on the day the contract comes to an end. If everything is in order, the deposit is transferred to the tenant’s bank account the next month. The deposit is not transferred if the tenant has unpaid invoices or does not return the card and the key.

When do I get my deposit back?

The final settlement and the repayment of the money will take place by the 23rd of the month following the end of your contract at the latest. For example, if your contract ends on June 13th, then the deposit is transferred to the tenant’s bank account by July 23rd at the latest.